Saturday, February 16, 2013

Dark chocolate and raspberry muffins from bourke street bakery

As you probably know it rains a bit in brisbane this time of year. I love to bake, as you know, but something about baking whilst it rains makes me feel like I am doing something useful with my time. Having two children, young children, stuck at home whilst it is raining fairly solidly for many days can be a hard task though. So my solution on this day was to bake some muffins.
 

We also had visitors coming for breakfast...I say breakfast not brunch because most people with little ones know that they wake up at the crack of dawn. So, I thought some yummy muffins would go down well for breakfast. My favourite muffins are the Bourke street bakery dark chocolate and raspberry muffins, and I love that they are simple, yummy and have a little more sophisticated taste, due to the two main components, chocolate and raspberries.
 

The recipe is fairly basic and makes 12 large muffins, though I like to make smaller ones. I do like to make mine in little muffin cases and I only bake them for 15 minutes, but do check your oven and keep an eye on them.


Dark Chocolate and Raspberry Muffins from Bourke Street Bakery
Makes 12
• 400g (2 2/3 cups) plain flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 300g caster sugar
• 310g unsalted butter
• 480ml buttermilk (I make my own buttermilk by adding 1 tsp of white vinegar per cup of milk)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3 eggs
• 225g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
• 225g raspberries, fresh or frozen
• 55g raw sugar
• Icing sugar, for dusting
 
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). Lightly grease a 12-hole muffin tin and line with paper cases.
2. Sift the flour and baking paper into a bowl and add the sugar, mixing well to combine.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat, then remove from the heat and stir in the buttermilk. Using a whisk stir in the eggs to combine. Pour over the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Use a large spoon to gently fold through the chocolate and raspberries. Don't overmix.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tins. Sprinkle the tops with raw sugar. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (350°F) and bake for 20-25 minutes. For smaller ones, cook for around 10 -15 minutes. It may be necessary to drop the temperature about 10 minutes before the end of baking time if the muffins are starting to brown on top.
5. To test if the muffins are done, push the top gently to feel that it is firm. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before eating. Dust with icing sugar to serve.


This is a good recipe to make with kids as it is fairly simple. They are moist and a little sweet, but not too sweet. Oh and as you have probably noticed I always forget to dust with icing sugar. They also freeze really well and are a great 'rush' morning breakfast. The little people in my life are not crazy about them, but I am yet to find a muffin recipe that they do like. Me on the other hand, I love them.
 
Now if only I could get to the bakery to try them for real!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment