Monday, January 14, 2013

Roll out Sugar Cookies

Well now that Christmas is over I am not baking so much. I am trying like most people to curb my sweet tooth, which can be very difficult when you write a 'Sweets' blog. So, on that note I will tell you that I am going to make some changes around here but I won't go into it right now.

I have had a few computer problems of late so that is the reason for my infrequent posts. So I am dying to share this post with you.

I did a lot of baking during the holiday period and one thing I have found that makes it all worthwhile is a good recipe. I would not bake anywhere near as much without good recipes to fall back on. And this one of my favourite cookie recipes.You see, they are soft, but firm, sweet and creamy (okay I know that sounds weird but that is how I think of them). 


I am not sure whether to call them roll out cookies, or sugar cookies or even shortbread cookies, but I think they cover all bases. You can roll them, they have sugar and they have a shortbread texture!


The recipe for these yummy cookies is available in many places and is called the NFSC - the no fail sugar cookie recipe...it fits them perfectly. One great thing is that this dough will hold it's shape well (with a bit of refrigeration) and the dough won't puff up in the oven - a no-no for good cookie decorators.

NFSC Recipe

6 cups plain flour
3 tsp. baking powder
230 grams butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract or desired flavoring (I have used various extracts but lemon is my favourite)
1 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 180oC (160oC for a fan-forced).
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. 
Mix dry ingredients and add a little at a time to butter mixture. Mix until flour is completely incorporated and the dough comes together.
Chill for 1 to 2 hours (or see Hint below)
Roll to desired thickness and cut into desired shapes. 
Place baking paper on your baking sheets and place shapes on baking sheets. 
I tend to put my shapes back into the fridge at this point because the dough can get a bit warm when you cut shapes with it.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until just beginning to turn brown around the edges. This recipe can make up to 5-dozen 3” cookies.

HINT: Rolling Out Dough Without the Mess -- Rather than wait for your cookie dough to chill, take the freshly made dough and place a glob between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll it out to the desired thickness then place the dough and paper on a cookie sheet and pop it into the refrigerator. Continue rolling out your dough between sheets of paper until you have used it all. By the time you are finished, the first batch will be completely chilled and ready to cut. Re-roll leftover and cut and bake!

You can also find the recipe here on Sweetapolita. She uses it to make cookies pops!


I have a bit of a fascination for cookies cutters and I bought these cute cutters from ebay. I think they are used in bento boxes or some thing like that but they make great cookie cutters and the kiddies can use them too.  I made these cookies for my daughters playdate and I think my girls ate most of them. 

So tell me if you like this recipe too, or if you have a different favourite recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment